|May 21, 2013: Pueblo City Schools' phone service has been restored.|
About Pueblo City Schools
Pueblo City Schools primarily serves the youth within the city of Pueblo. There are approximately 18,000 students served by 32 schools: 17 elementary schools, 5 middle schools, 2 K-8 schools, 4 high schools, 3 magnet schools and 2 charter schools. The profile of the student body reflects 70%minority students and 67% of students qualifying for free and reduced lunch programs. We are teachers, support personnel, administrators, school board members, parents and community members dedicated to improving student education.
The district's overall goal is to guarantee a world-class education that prepares graduates to succeed in a global society. In 2007 the district, in collaboration with over 300 diverse volunteers from throughout the community, collaborated and created a District Strategic Plan. The District Strategic Plan identifies six specific goals, supported by strategies and action steps that will not only improve achievement, but will ensure students are equipped with the knowledge and skills necessary to compete in a global society. The Strategic Plan can be found at www.pueblocityschools.us.
Pueblo’s first school building was a one-room adobe hut built near the Fountain River around 1862. As the population grew, additional buildings and teachers were added. In 1866 “School District One” served what is now the north side of town.
The town of South Pueblo was laid out in 1872. In the summer of 1873, “District Twenty” was organized. At that time a one-room schoolhouse was built on South Union Avenue.
Additionally, the small districts 22, 43, and 45 existed briefly but were quickly absorbed into the larger two districts.
The existence of these two school districts in Pueblo gave rise to
the oldest high school football rivalry west of the Mississippi River – a game that is still played annually. Pueblo District One’s new Centennial High School opened January 9, 1878 with four staff members. Across town in South Pueblo’s District Twenty Central High School opened three years later in 1881 with seven staff members. Central and Centennial met in their first football game in the fall of 1892 – the first football game most Pueblo residents had ever seen. Since then the “Bell Game” has been an annual event drawing current students, alumni and community members together at Pueblo’s Dutch Clark Stadium.
Pueblo School Districts One and Twenty were consolidated into Pueblo School District 60 on March 4, 1946. Once again in 2006 the district underwent a name change when it became Pueblo City Schools. As the city has grown, so has the district, which now enrolls nearly 18,000 students. More than 140 years of traditions, community support and successes have helped lead Pueblo City Schools as it develops into a world-class school district.